Saturday, June 7, 2014

Faith and Family Guest Interview Series

 "And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise." ~ Deuteronomy 6:6-7
When you sit at home, when you're out and about, before bed, in the morning... all the time. This is how often we are to talk and think about God and his Word. Wow! That's a tall order, and one that I know I can constantly improve upon.

The context of Deuteronomy 6 is that God is giving the Law to his people, the Israelites. He is instructing them that the Law is good, that it is valuable, and that it is something that they are to pass down to their children and their children's children. As Christians living every day in the light of the resurrection, we are blessed to be able to share those truths with our children. As a parent, I want more than anything for my daughter to know Jesus Christ as her Lord and Savior and have the Holy Spirit working faith in her heart. As Paul says, 

"For faith comes by hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ." ~ Romans 10:17

If faith comes by hearing the word, that further reinforces God's directions to his people in Deuteronomy. We are to talk about God and his word daily, at home, when we're out running errands and doing our daily activities, before bed, in the morning, everywhere at all times. 

As a new parent, I love hearing stories from other parents and families about ways in which they manage to live out their faith and teach their children about God and his word in their everyday lives. It is easy now to tell my daughter about Christ. She doesn't talk (in English at least!), she's with me all the time, and I can tell her about whatever I want. So I do! I talk to her about Jesus and what he's done for her, and the Holy Spirit and how she has the Holy Spirit living in her because of her baptism. We have started the habit of my husband reading the Bible with her before bedtime. But at this point she is young, and so much of what her childhood will look like is still up in the air. I love to hear and read encouragement from other parents and see the practical, real ways in which other families put Christ first in their daily lives because it inspires me and gives me ideas for the future. 

To that end, I am very excited to announce a series of interview-style guest blog posts that I have in the works. I am looking forward to featuring some great moms who have more children and older children than I have, and I can't wait to hear what they have to say about their faith and family journeys. I already have several great interviews lined up.

Watch for the first guest post on Monday!
________________________________________________________________________

To make sure you don't miss any posts in the series, you can like Learning to Trust on Facebook, follow on Bloglovin or subscribe via email. 

If you would like to be featured in this series, I still have room for a couple more parents. You don't have to be a mom; I would love to interview dads too! And you don't have to have kids of any specific age, just a willingness to share about your faith and how you live it out in your everyday family life. If you are interested, feel free to contact me and we will talk!

No comments:

Post a Comment