Monday, October 12, 2015

The Church's One Foundation

hymns, singing to children, teaching hymns

If you know me well, you may know that I don't like to repeat, say, or sing things if I don't know what they mean. When I was little my mom sometimes would ask me to deliver a message to my dad for her. She would tell me exactly what to say, and I would ask her a bunch of questions trying to figure out what she meant, then I would go find my dad and tell him what I thought she wanted to say in my own words. It drove her crazy. But I just didn't like to say things unless I understood them. And I still don't.

I'm not a very sentimental person. I like things to have purpose and meaning. I never started singing my children lullabies because I was never sure exactly what the words were about, or what the point of singing them was. As adults we all know from experience that songs we have heard hundreds of times stay with us - stuck in our heads forever for better or worse. Before my daughter was born I remember thinking about what I would sing to her. I never really sang before having kids, and I didn't know many lullabies anyway, so I knew I would have to learn some songs. I figured if I was going to start singing to my babies, I should sing something that would benefit them to have in their minds.

I may be unusual, but instead of singing lullabies, I choose to sing my daughter hymns. We have a hymn or two that we sing to her every night to help her fall asleep, and I love being reminded of Christ and his promises every night in the midst of our bedtime routine. Of course there are many tired nights when I just sing without thinking about the words, but I love that the words in her mind as she's going to sleep are words of truth and promise, even if she doesn't fully know what they mean yet. 

As a soon-to-be pastor's family, I think a lot about the impact to my kids of growing up with such a close-up, behind-the-scenes view of the church. I admit, sometimes it scares me to think of my kids seeing the church's dark side at such tender ages, as I'm sure they will. But one Sunday, when I was feeling overly frustrated and down about the sinful state of the church, we sang The Church's One Foundation in church, and the words of that song gave me such reassurance. It's not about us, about being the best church, about doing it all right. It's about Christ and what he has already done for us.

I know that my kids will experience firsthand the way the world looks at the church with "scornful wonder," the church being divisive, by "schisms torn asunder," and the "toil and tribulation" that we go through when we try to follow Christ. I know my kids will grow up in a congregation full of sinners, one way or another. But what I want them to know about the church, is that her foundation is in Christ, her Lord. That he came to save her, to make her his new creation by water and the Word. That despite the schisms, the toil and the sin, the church looks to Christ, who will return for her, his bride. 

This song puts it all into perspective for me, and it comforts me to sing it to my children. I know the vocabulary is advanced for kids, but that just excites me about the day when my daughter starts to ask me what various words mean and I will have a chance to talk to her about Christ and his bride, the Church. 


The Church's one foundation is Jesus Christ her Lord.
She is his new creation by water and the Word. 
From Heav'n he came and sought her to be his holy bride,
With his own blood her bought her, and for her life he died.

Elect from every nation, yet one o'er all the earth,
Her charter of salvation - one Lord, one Faith, one birth.
One holy name she blesses, partakes one holy food
And to one hope she presses with ever grace endued.

Though with a scornful wonder the world sees her opressed
By schisms rent asunder, by heresies distressed,
Yet saints their watch are keeping; their cry goes out, "How long?" 
And soon the night of weeping shall be the morn of song.

Through toil and tribulation and tumult of her war 
She waits the consummation of peace forevermore
Till with the vision glorious her longing eyes are blessed,
And the great church victorious shall be the church at rest.

Yet she on earth has union with God the Three in One,
And mystic sweet communion with those whose rest is won.
Oh blessed heav'nly chorus! Lord save us by your grace
That we like saints before us may see you face to face.

Text: Samuel J. Stone, 1839-1900


No comments:

Post a Comment