Monday, May 12, 2014

A Simple Mother's Day

Yesterday was my first Mother's Day, and it was simple and perfect. Simply perfect.


Someone had breakfast in bed... but it wasn't me. I started my Sunday snuggling and feeding my baby girl in bed, and after getting ready for church, I even had about ten minutes to eat breakfast. For a Sunday morning, that was quite a treat! In the afternoon we went to the mall and I ran some errands and treated myself and Jonathan to one slice of Cheesecake Factory Godiva chocolate cheesecake. It was delicious.




I spent the rest of the day having a typical, relaxing Sunday afternoon. And like most days, the highlight was my fun, spunky, silly little girl making faces at me, laughing, playing games, and growing up before my eyes.

My husband gave me a wonderful Mother's Day gift - he cleaned the entire apartment by himself on Saturday, so that I could enjoy Sunday in a clean home. This meant so much more to me than anything purchased could have. It was so sweet.

As I listened to us talk about Mother's Day in church, thought about my own mom, saw all the Facebook posts about mothers, and enjoyed a day with my family, I had a few thoughts about Mother's Day.

I will probably never be the mom I want to be. 

I am not sure why we talk about Mother's Day in church; it's pretty irrelevant, in my opinion. Plus, for better or worse, Mother's Day seems to be the day with the most targeted, legalistic messages of the year. When I come away from church on Mother's Day, the main takeaway for me is, "Wow, I'm sure no Proverbs 31 woman. I don't know what I did to deserve to be a mother, but I'm pretty sure I'll never be the best mom I could be. I have so much improving to do!" That's not terrible I suppose. Those things might all be true, and maybe they even motivate me. But they don't point me to Christ. 

The truth is, I'm not a Proverbs 31 woman, I'm not the world's best mom, I'm not a perfect example for my children, and I do have a lot of room for improvement! But it's also true that Christ died for me, and that the most important thing I can do for my kids is teach and remind them that Christ died for them too. And if I desire to grow as a wife and mother, my relationship with Christ is the key.

Being a mom isn't a status symbol; it's a blessing.

So many women wish they could be mothers, but can't, or aren't mothers yet. Being a mom does not automatically make you a great person, a person with more value, a more mature individual, or a more womanly woman. It is just a blessing. Just a gift. A wonderful privilege that God has given. This privilege is bestowed both on women who handle it with grace and on women who squander it. And many women who would be great mothers are not given that opportunity because we live in an imperfect world. 

Instead of taking today to think about what a great mom I am or the things I deserve or whether or not I got to eat breakfast in bed, it humbles me and reminds me how blessed I am. I am undeserving, and blessed beyond anything I could have imagined.

The greatest Mother's Day gift is the gift of being a mother.

I saw this beautiful blog post by Lydia Jentzen Will on my home church's website yesterday, and I really appreciated it. It really articulates well that the greatest gift of Mother's Day is that you get to be a mom. Here are some of my favorite quotes, although I encourage you to read the whole thing:

"I think I’ve finally figured out why: motherhood is a life-long vocational journey, a life of service that will not be repaid here on earth.  Mother’s Day celebrations fall flat because the reward for what we are doing is much much much greater, the equivalent of such that is not to be found this side of heaven. ... Remembering, above all else, despite the heartache and heartbreak and all encompassing fatigue – this life is a blessing. To be called “Mama” and represent selfless love to the children we’ve been given – is a gift. A better Mother’s Day gift than could ever be found in a store."

I couldn't have said it better. This Mother's Day I realized how blessed I have been.

I have been blessed with a wonderful mother who I can look up to so much. A mother who showed me what it means to sacrifice for her children. A mother who invested fully in raising me and my siblings. A mother who is a lifelong friend and support to me.

I have also been blessed with a perfectly adorable, ridiculously clever, beautiful daughter. I don't know why I have been so fortunate where others have not, but I know she is a gift and a blessing. I can't imagine my life without her. However hard being a mother may be, it is 100% worth it in every moment of every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment