Friday, May 2, 2014

New Beginnings and Why I Love Moving


I must be one of the only people I know who actually kind of likes to move. We have moved twice so far in our married life, and we'll be moving about three times in the next two years. Sure, moving is a lot of work. I hate living out of boxes, and I have no idea how I will get all the packing and unpacking done with a baby around. But secretly, I look forward to moving. I daydream about packing boxes. Am I crazy? Yes, I admit that I probably am.

One of the things I love about moving is the opportunity to go through every single thing I own and get rid of stuff. Things make me feel claustrophobic about my life, and moving every couple of years gives me a chance to make sure I'm not holding on to things I don't like, or don't need, or could do without. The more stuff I have in my living space, the more I look forward to moving. I look around me and think, "There's no way I could possibly be using all of this stuff!" And the thought that I have an opportunity to do something about it is exciting!

(Of course, I can always get rid of stuff without moving, but I can be a little lazy, and moving forces me to do it, which is nice.)

I personally feel like the more things I have around me, the more confined I am and the less free. I love simple rooms, a manageable number of toys and books, closets with only clothes that currently fit and look good, kitchens with the bare minimum in terms of gadgetry. It is so hard to keep things from slipping in and sticking around, but moving gives me a chance to re-evaluate and simplify.

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a little crazy about organization. I also love to move because I love organizing all my stuff, packing things neatly into boxes, labeling everything meticulously, and having the opportunity to unpack it all and re-arrange everything when I get somewhere. I put a lot of thought into things like how to arrange my dishes in my kitchen cabinets, but once it's done, you feel like you're sabotaging your husband unnecessarily if you change it too frequently. Moving is fun because I get to re-organize everything!

I guess the main reason I look forward to moving is because it is an opportunity to re-start, to refresh, to simplify my life. Practically speaking it is nice to know a move is around the corner, because you know that everything will get cleaned, sorted through, and handled eventually. But it's also emotionally nice to have a re-start. An opportunity to form some new habits. A chance to re-think routines. An occasion to explore a new area and meet new people.


We will be moving in August to live for a year in our home state of Michigan while Jonathan serves his vicarage. I am excited to get to discover a new part of my home state, meet new people, learn about what it means to be in ministry in a church, and of course, swim in some Great Lakes!

And yes... at the same time that I am a bit stressed over the prospect of moving, I'm excited to get that fresh start feel!

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with the "sabotaging your husband" part. Moving every year has been hard on the hubs, it takes him about 10 months to figure out where to put the measuring cups. -Upstairs Brianna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I feel like around the time Jonathan completely masters the kitchen we're getting ready to move again. :-)

      Delete
  2. Hello I am so delighted I located your blog, I really located you by mistake, while I was watching on google for something else, Anyways I am here now and could just like to say thank for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining website. Please do keep up the great work. umzug wien

    ReplyDelete